Manufacturing Plant Safety Continuous Improvements
Every chemical manufacturing plant needs to improve its safety continuously; otherwise potential hazards will present real danger. But most people dont know where to start. There is no idea come into their mind.
The list below may give you an idea when it is the time to start plant safety continuous improvement project. Think simple and start with a small improvement project is better. If you have some improvement ideas, arrange them based on their priorities.
1. Every time you walk around plant site for safety patrol, record any safety finding you get.
2. Regular safety inspection will give you more inputs for safety improvements.
3. Look at your incident, accident and near miss records. Evaluate why they occur and propose preventive actions as improvement ideas.
4. Safety committee meeting is a perfect time to introduce safety improvement project.
5. During hazard identification study, there will be some hidden hazards that come without proper hazard controls. Take them as inputs.
6. Risk assessment results may also come with a lot of improvement chances.
7. Evaluate fire drill and emergency response exercise results. Look at the weaknesses and deficiencies. Then, plan an improvement.
8. Utilize your companys regulation compliance status report to look for safety improvement ideas.
9. During plant overhaul period, you will see hidden hazards that you can not see when the plant is in operation.
10. Keep good communication with people who involve in plant operations and maintenance works. They may have valuable information related to safety matter.
11. Thanks to OHSAS 18001 auditors. They assess your safety management system and the implementation. Audit findings will be submitted to you asking for corrective and preventive actions.
12. Whenever you read plant accident news, know the root cause and look at your safety system. If you find the similar case, improve it as soon as possible.
Once you have got an improvement idea, make a plan and realize it as soon as possible. If the improvement project requires high budget or high cost, provide temporary corrective actions to control the hazards. Because, we do not know when they will turn into accident or even disaster.